December is the time to prepare your home for the long winter months ahead.
- Reverse Your Fans – first, the most simple trick in the book. By switching your ceiling fan to the clockwise direction, you can save on heating! Clockwise running ceiling fans push the warm air downwards towards your living space.
- Seal all drafts – window and door drafts can cause up to 5-30% energy waste in ones home. Whether you have the time to fix little cracks and seals professionally, or do it by a quick DIY rolling of a towel at the bottom of the door, any bit can help.
- Consider installing a storm door and windows – another way to prevent drafts and also protect your home from the cold windy weather outside.
- Change furnace filters – during the winter when your house is being heated non-stop, it is so important to change your furnace filters once a month. A dirty filter is ineffective and also a huge energy waster.
- Thermostat scheduling – by setting different temperatures for when people are occupying the house and not, you can end up saving money on your heating bill.
- Check your insulation – not having enough insulation will ensure that cold air will come in and warm air from your heater won’t stay in. Check out your attic and basement, to make sure that your insulation is efficient.